“Ship shape and Bristol fashion”

“Ship shape and Bristol fashion”

Many have debated the origin of this expression- I don’t really care. I’m not usually so callous with language. In fact I’m rather a huge fan of how things are said and what meaning they carry. But I feel like with any art, what is observed from one person to the next can be different.

All I know is that I’m a fan of this expression for describing a boat, ship, or craft that has had lots of care put into its appearance and functionality.

I have acquired a 16’ sloop. Wooden hull with fiberglass sheathing, gaff rigged, with lovely lines. She is sound and just needs cosmetic work: sanding, painting, and a small amount of patching up fiberglass on her port rub rail.

My goal is clear to me- restore her, get her into the water and explore the lake. Maybe even coastal sailing after I have the feel of her and confidence to match.

This work would not be at all daunting to most, but I’ve never done it before. I know how to weld, and as far as carpentry I have attempted the obligatory spice rack as well as a rickety trestle table. However my trestle table and spice rack never had to worry about if they could float or not. My spice rack never had rigging or complicated lines to care for. My Trestle table never had a sail.

My deadline:

Late summer/early fall for initial refit completion and launch. To be certain- she is, as many are, a work in progress and I can see this work continuing on longer than this deadline.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

After such a long time of not writing anything here... of neglecting my duties to inform you all of my work with this lovely boat, I am happy to say that I'm back. I'm back to write and share ideas about restoring boats. I have learned a very valuable lesson- working on wooden boats is a lifelong approach and not something that can be done quick. Especially since I have a day job and several other responsibilities that constantly vie for my attentions. I have not been lax though in my work. I'm have put many a good hour towards learning how to make the repairs effective, strong, and in keeping with her fine form. I have been accumulating gear that will serve well on the waters. Lastly I have been reminding myself that just because I consider myself handy, I do need to pay attention, look around, ask advice. So much of this project I have been defensive about. I have said- no one shall help- I'm going to do this on my own. This is a great goal, but it is a very overwhelming goal. So I will tuck back my pride and ask for help when needed. I will continue to learn about how to keep her in the best way... Bristol and Ship Shape. More to come.
p.s. Raising a glass to the Captain and Crew of the Bounty- Sad when a great lady slips away like that, even sadder when lives are lost.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, you are back!

    We do have to meet somewhere for a sailing adventure.

    ReplyDelete